Cannot get Remote Desktop Services to Work on Server 2012: "A Remote Desktop Services deployment does not exist in the server pool..."

Hello

I have been trying to get Remote Desktop Services to work in Windows Server 2012 RC.

I started off with a new Hyper-V virtual machine and installed a fresh copy of Windows Server 2012 RC onto it and joined it to the domain.

I then restarted and added all the roles for RDS apart from the virtual desktop role and restarted.

However under administrative tools if I go to the Remote Desktop Services folder I only get 3 options which are (RD Licensing Diagnoser, Remote Desktop Gateway Manager, Remote Desktop Licensing Manager). If I go to Server Manager and click on Remote Desktop Services it spends a while saying:

"Connecting to the RD Conneciton Broker Service"

Then after about a minute it returns to the Dashboard and if I click on Remote Desktop Services again I get:

"A Remote Desktop Services deployment does not exist in the server pool.

To create a deployment, run the Add Roles and Features Wizard and select the Remote Destop Services Installation option."

I have checked event viewer and cannot see any errors and have checked that all the Remote Desktop services are running and am not sure what else to check.

I have already removed all RDS roles and re-installed them but it is still the same.

Thanks

Robin

July 1st, 2012 5:12pm

Please download and go through the doc 'Understand and Troubleshoot Remote Desktop Services in Windows Server "8" Beta' from the following link.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29006

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 2nd, 2012 12:21am

Hello NPDS

Thanks for the document. I have read through it and it has some useful info in it I didn't know such as User Profile Disks and folders in RDWeb.

However I have followed this exact process to install RDS and as the screen won't load in server manager I can't do any kind of configuration as the document goes on to discuss.

So I cannot proceed any further.

Are there any group policy settings which could interfere with this working maybe? Some settings are applied for the 2008 R2 servers. Hoew can I determine what the problem is. Does it get logged anywhere?

Thanks
Robin

July 2nd, 2012 6:26am

Ok. Just go through the doc 'Test Lab Guide: Demonstrate remote desktop Services in Windows Server "8" Beta' from the following link.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29011

Hope this will resolve your problem.

July 2nd, 2012 9:10am

Ok. Just go through the doc 'Test Lab Guide: Demonstrate remote desktop Services in Windows Server "8" Beta' from the following link.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29011

Hope this will resolve your problem.

July 2nd, 2012 9:10am

If the server you are running Server Manager from is not also the Connection Broker server, you must add the Connection Broker into the Server Manager server pool.  Once you have done that you will be able to manage your Remote Desktop deployment, and make sure to add all other servers that are part of your RDS deployment into Server Manager as well.
July 2nd, 2012 6:31pm

Hello Both

Basically I have just kept things simple and installed everything onto a single server so all RD roles are on the same server except for the Virtualisation role as it is already a VM itself. The host Hyper-V server and the RDS Hyper-V client server are both fresh installs of Windows Server 2012 RC.

Reading through the Test Lab it is the same except the services are installed across more than one server.

I did try to create a server group and add all servers to the Server manager screen (even though these do not host RDS services) but it made no difference.

I have a feeling this could be related to a GPO but it will take time to go through them all. I remember one of the policies caused issues with Citrix Metaframe a few years ago (now XenApp). What exactly is happening when it tries to connect to the connection broker service? Any idea which GPO could affect the connectivity? Is it logged anywhere?

Everything worked fine on the Server 2008 R2 RD server I had been using which hosted all the RD services. I basically shut this down and then created a new server on 2012 with the same name.

Thanks

Robin

July 2nd, 2012 7:06pm

The Understand and Troubleshoot Guide has the logs you should gather in the troubleshooting section.  The RDMSDeploymentUI.log would be a gr
July 3rd, 2012 3:45am

Hello dgeddes

I have already checked and the log does not appear to exist. In C:\Windows\Logs there are just some sub-folders (BPA, CBS, DISM, DPX and MeasuredBoot). The trace log doesn't exist either (I do have hidden files set to display).

Also having looked in event viewer (Rdms-UI and all Terminal Server folders) nothing seems to relate to the problem and more to when I was setting it up.

I have removed the policies relating to Remote Desktop and ran a GPUPDATE /FORCE but the problem still persists.

I'm wondering if it's worth wiping the virtual server and starting again but I'm not convinced it will help as it was a fresh install of Windows Server 2012 RC and I then went on to try to get RDS working straight away by putting all services on a single server but after installation and rebooting I can't open the RDS section in server msnsger to do any kind of configuration.

Any ideas how else I might be able to troubleshoot this?

I have set this up many times with Server 2008 R2 and it has always just worked so I'm not sure what is different apart from the server version.

Thanks

Robin

July 3rd, 2012 11:07pm

I have now deleted the VM and made sure the AD account for the computer did not exist in ADUC.

I then set up a fresh copy of Window Server 2012 RC, rebooted and installed updates.

I then joined it to the domain rebooted again and installed every part of RDS apart from the virtualisation one.

I then rebooted again and tried to go to the new Remote Desktop Services section in Server Manager and recieved the same error as before.

What else can I try? Does it definately work in the RC?

Thanks

Robin

July 6th, 2012 5:37pm

I have just set up Windows Server 2012 RC on a new physical machine (Optiplex 790 with a 256GB SSD and 16GB of ram).

I installed Windows Server 2012, joined it to the domain, installed all RDS roles which also installed Hyper-V.

Then I rebooted and tried to configure it in server manager and get the same error as before (A Remote Desktop Services deployment does not exist in the server pool. To create a deployment, run the Add Roles and Features Wizard and select the Remote Desktop Services installation option.)

The server does not really have any polices applied to it so I cannot think why it refuses to work.

Is RDS broken in the RC or has anyone got it to work with all roles on a single server (physical or virtual)?

Thanks

Robin

July 12th, 2012 11:36am

There are Several Way To Deploy Remote Desktop Services in Windows Server 2012

Here is the Link which way You want to Develop

Use the following Step-by-Step Guides for more information about how Remote Desktop Services works and how to deploy Remote Desktop Services in a test environment:

July 13th, 2012 10:56am

Hello Kalpesh

Thanks for all the links but these all relate to Windows Server 2008 R2. I have no problems setting up RDS with Server 2008 R2 and have set it up quite a few times without any problems. Sometimes it is all on one server and sometimes it is distributed across multiple servers.

The problem is I just can't get it to work in Server 2012.

Basically if I set up a new Server 2008 R2 server and install all RDS roles then it works and I can set it all up and get it working but if I do the same with Server 2012 even though it says installation was successful afterwards it refuses to open the RDS pages in server manager so I cannot do any configuration.

The RDS page only appears in server manager after installing RDS but after clicking on it, it spends about a minute trying to load and then says to use this page I need to add the RDS role (but that it what I just did!).

I have tried setting this up on a physical machine and also on a VM and given the computer different names when joining it to the domain.

When 2012 failed to work I set up a Server 2008 R2 server on the same infrastructure and it worked straight away. So either it is broken in 2012 or some policy or setting is preventing it from working. When everything is installed on a single server it should be simpler I would have though with less chance of problems as server manager only needs to communicate with localhost.

Please can anyone give me any tips on how I might troubleshoot this when there is nothing in event viewer and no relevant logs I can find.

Thanks

Robin

July 14th, 2012 10:35am

Hello

Please can anyone suggest any way I might get this to work?

I'm thinking of giving it one last go and giving the server a different name again which has never been used before like srv2012-rdp.

Are there any other tips to getting this working or any logs I could be checking?

As I said I have installed it multiple times in 2008 R2 and never had an issue. On this same domain a 2008R2 implimentation was already in place and working with RemoteApps and desktop over https.

After installation I can get to the rdweb portal but as I can't get into that part of server manager I can't do any kind of configuration.

Thanks

Robin

July 21st, 2012 1:10pm

I've just tried this again with a completely different server name and it still fails.

I've disabled all group policies relating to terminal services and Remote Apps.

I have tried installing IIS first and then RDS, updating the server first and then installing RDS or installing RDS first and then updating, ticking restart automaitcally or restarting manually afterwards, installing on physical hardware VS installing on a VM, disabling the firewall and bypassing TMG. I have tried everything I can think of yet still I am no further forward.

Could there be something left from RDS 2008 R2 which needs to be cleared from the domain somewhere?

July 23rd, 2012 6:58pm

Are you using the Remote Desktop Services installation option in Server Manager or are you manually installing all the role services?  You must choose Remote Desktop Services Installation.
July 23rd, 2012 7:53pm

Hello Don

Yes, from the new Server Manager I am just going to the Add Roles section from the local server after joining it to the domain and ticking the RDS role and then ticking all the features and waiting whilst they are installed.

Then it asks for a restart but after restarting while an icon then appears for RDS on the left of server manager it will not open due to the error above.

Is this still the correct way to install it or is there another method?

Thanks

Robin

July 26th, 2012 11:21am

You are installing the role services manually, but in Windows Server 2012 there is a special mode of installation that you must choose that installs the Remote Desktop Management component.  Please see the following guide for more information:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29006

The above was written for Beta but is still applicable to the RC release.

July 26th, 2012 12:17pm

Hello Don

Thanks, that was the reason why. I should have read your document more carefully the first time around. I skipped over the installation part the first time as I was installing it to a single server and didn't realise this had changed.

I have everything up and running now and published through TMG.

The only thing I can't seem to work out how to do is to add a Remote Desktop Connection as well as adding the individual RemoteApps as being able to run the full desktop is also useful.

So is the installation of this role moving away from the roles and services feature into its own section?

Thanks for the help.

Robin

July 30th, 2012 9:43pm

A Collection can only publish RemoteApps or sessions, it cannot do both at the same time.  So if you want to allow full desktop sessions and RemoteApps you must have separate servers for each in a separate collection.  By default, a Session Collection allows full desktops, and you have to publish RemoteApps to a collection before it changes to type of RemoteApp.  To change it back to allowing full desktop sessions, simply unpublish the RemoteApps from the collection.
August 1st, 2012 10:11pm

Hello Don

So in Windows Server 2012 is it not possible to deploy both desktops and well as remote apps on a single server as you can in Server 2008 R2 and previous versions?

I did find a workaround which was to publish mstsc.exe as a RemoteApp which will then allow me to load a full desktop by typing in the server name but it won't be much good for end users.

I can still publish both collections on the same URL though can't I if I set up a second server?

Do you know if this functionality is still the same in the RTM version.

Thanks

Robin

August 2nd, 2012 12:27pm

Hello Don

So in Windows Server 2012 is it not possible to deploy both desktops and well as remote apps on a single server as you can in Server 2008 R2 and previous versions?

I did find a workaround which was to publish mstsc.exe as a RemoteApp which will then allow me to load a full desktop by typing in the server name but it won't be much good for end users.

I can still publish both collections on the same URL though can't I if I set up a second server?

Do you know if this functionality is still the same in the RTM version.

Thanks

Robin

August 2nd, 2012 4:24pm

Hi All 

Our Environment is different where we use Thinclient to connect to our Server using Terminal Server. These Tinclients are Linux embedded OS. I am not able to connect through Terminal services, where as when i connect through Win 7 System i am able to connect. Please let me know is there any changes done in Win 2012 server 

• Edited by maxmadhu Saturday, October 19, 2013 12:28 PM
October 19th, 2013 12:27pm

Hi All 

Our Environment is different where we use Thinclient to connect to our Server using Terminal Server. These Tinclients are Linux embedded OS. I am not able to connect through Terminal services, where as when i connect through Win 7 System i am able to connect. Please let me know is there any changes done in Win 2012 server 

• Edited by maxmadhu Saturday, October 19, 2013 12:28 PM
October 19th, 2013 12:27pm

Is there a simple answer to the original question - how to view the RDS deployment in Server Manager? I have the same situation with R2, I first installed VDI deployment to a single server. Server was restarted, after that I saw the anouncment above in the RDS node - "

"A Remote Desktop Services deployment does not exist in the server pool.

To create a deployment, run the Add Roles and Features Wizard and select the Remote Destop Services Installation option.""

I added saparate roles for RDS on the same box, restarted, but no go.... still the same view. What component Im missing? I have no RDS tools whatsoever to create a VDI collection...

November 26th, 2013 4:40pm

Hello Yannara

The reason this failed and gave this error was because I am so used to going to Server Manager and then going to Manage > Add Roles and Features and then selecting the features I missed the additional question about RDS.

On the second screen the installer asks if you are installing a role or if you want to install Remote Desktop Services and you need to select the second option.

You can install all the roles manually using the first option but if you do that it seems to copy the binary files and create start menu shortcuts but not actually install and configure them so nothing works.

It is confusing that RDS has its own section to install and configure it but it still allows you to install the features manually the way it has always been done but then if you do they don't work.

Hope this helps.

Robin

November 26th, 2013 9:18pm

Well yeah, I got it working by reconfiguring the RDS deployment afterwards. The thing is, that I first did the RDS role installation from the right spot, by selecting VDI installation which really transfers the server from member server to RDS server. But still those options were not available after reboot. What I did, is I rerun that same installation wizard and selected new RDS switch to be created as well. After re-running the installation, I got the RDS infrastructure available in Server Manager. 
November 27th, 2013 6:31am

I know this is very old but I just had the same problem and it took me almost an entire day to figure out what was going on.  I experienced the same message when I go to Server Manager>Remote Desktop Services>Overview I got "A Remote Desktop Services deployment does not exist in the server pool. To create a deployment, run the Add Roles and Features Wizard and select the Remote Desktop Services installation option."

This was working until recently. Most Internet searches mentioned this happening when the roles were installed manually instead of using the wizard. This was not my case. I tried running the wizard again anyway and now got "A Remote Desktop Services Deployment already exists in the server pool."  Whatever option I chose, the following message appears: "Could not retrieve the deployment information from the RD connection Broker server.

All services were starting and everything appeared to be working perfectly except the management piece of it even though the Remote Desktop Management service is running.

I finally solved the problem by stumbling upon a single event viewer entry about windows updates not connecting.  I then opened an administrative command prompt and typed netsh winhttp show proxy and found that it was set to my proxy server.  I then ran netsh winhttp reset proxy and just like that, overview started working.  Hope this helps someone out there.

July 2nd, 2014 6:45pm

I know this is very old but I just had the same problem and it took me almost an entire day to figure out what was going on.  I experienced the same message when I go to Server Manager>Remote Desktop Services>Overview I got "A Remote Desktop Services deployment does not exist in the server pool. To create a deployment, run the Add Roles and Features Wizard and select the Remote Desktop Services installation option."

This was working until recently. Most Internet searches mentioned this happening when the roles were installed manually instead of using the wizard. This was not my case. I tried running the wizard again anyway and now got "A Remote Desktop Services Deployment already exists in the server pool."  Whatever option I chose, the following message appears: "Could not retrieve the deployment information from the RD connection Broker server.

All services were starting and everything appeared to be working perfectly except the management piece of it even though the Remote Desktop Management service is running.

I finally solved the problem by stumbling upon a single event viewer entry about windows updates not connecting.  I then opened an administrative command prompt and typed netsh winhttp show proxy and found that it was set to my proxy server.  I then ran netsh winhttp reset proxy and just like that, overview started working.  Hope this helps someone out there.

Hello Sir,

I had this problem same as you. I figured out haven't installed any proxy. Still have problem...

• Proposed as answer by Pizza101 Thursday, February 12, 2015 6:48 PM
  • Unproposed as answer by Pizza101 Thursday, February 12, 2015 6:48 PM
January 5th, 2015 7:08am

Hello Sir,

I had this problem same as you. I figured out haven't installed any proxy. Still have problem...

• Proposed as answer by Pizza101 Thursday, February 12, 2015 6:48 PM
  • Unproposed as answer by Pizza101 Thursday, February 12, 2015 6:48 PM
January 5th, 2015 7:08am

I know this is an old post, but I've also looked all over for a solution, and finally stumbled upon something that was done in GPO's.

Our SCCM engineer recently added a GPO.  He enabled WinRM. The exact setting: "Allow remote server management through WinRM". I set it back to 'Not Configured', and was able to see RDS Management.

WinRM is the service needed to allow for remote management access to the computer / device via PowerShell.

Hope this helps ...

February 12th, 2015 6:56pm

I just had the same problem described above (correctly used the Remote Desktop Installation Option, not a manual install), but it seems to me that the real trick is that Remote Desktop Services installation triggers a reboot on Server 2012 R2 and then fails.  If you then start a new installation, the process completes with no errors.

I tested this on two relatively fresh Server 2012 R2 installs.  Installation failed on both, as described above.  I then tested the approach of jerrypanski above (wiping out the winhttp proxy with a "netsh winhttp reset proxy") tried to reinstall Remote Desktop services and it worked.

But then I went to the other server and without rebooting again (remember, it had rebooted once on its own during the first RDS install), tried a second installation and it installed fine.  Installed perfectly.  Both servers are on a private network and had the same winhttp proxy setting.

Bottom line, if RDS installation fails on Server 2012 R2 (especially if the installation triggers a reboot early in the installation), just try installing again.

June 4th, 2015 10:28pm

I think I finally found a fix/workaround that worked for me.

We've been using RemoteApp for about a year and it works fine for the most part. But I had lost the 'Collections' group to go in and re-configure anything and/or add more apps to the group. And kept getting the same error as above in the Overview section.

Had a need to get in and check the user data profile settings, and make an adjustment. So I setup a new server group on my local workstation install of 2012 R2, added the four servers setup for handling RemoteApp, and all was good from there and it let me get in to the Collections section to update the config.

So, I'm guessing I can also probably re-setup a new server group on the connection broker's server manager, and that will likely cleanup anything there it's missing in the current server group settings.

But have spent enough time on it for now - will leave that for another day.

Greg

June 24th, 2015 12:06am

For me the issue was that I was accessing the server with a user from a different domain. After I switched to a user from the same domain that the server was joined to, I was able to see the Remote Desktop Services Overview etc.
July 7th, 2015 1:46am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics